Aim of Programme
Aim of Programme
This programme is aimed at those already working in a purchasing and procurement function, or aspiring to do so. The programme will give the student the knowledge, skills and competencies to become effective employees in a procurement and purchasing function. This programme has been designed to apply across all industries, and will give the participants an opportunity to reskill or upskill to take up roles in the area of procurement, purchasing and tendering. It is also suitable for unemployed persons that meet the entry requirements.
On successful completion of this programme the learner will be able to:
- Understand and analyse the added value that can be achieved through procurement and supply chain management
- Understand how to devise a business case for requirements to be sourced from external suppliers
- Understand the legal issues that relate to the formation of contract
- Understand ethical and responsible sourcing
- Prepare for negotiations with external organisations
- Understand the dynamics of relationships in supply chains
- Demonstrate the application of the procurement cycle
- Principles of Procurement
- Operations and Logistics Management
- Inventory Management
- Spend Analysis and Category Management
- Tendering, Contract and Negotiation
- Professional Development, Career Planning and Work Based Project
Mature applicants (i.e over 23 years)
Leaving Certificate – Grade O6 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate.
Two of these subjects must be Mathematics and a language (English or Irish)
any QQI Level 5 (Full award with a minimum of eight modules)
Recognition of Prior Learning. (APL/APEL)
Induction for the 2022/2023 academic year takes place (online via Zoom) on Saturday 10th September from 930am to 1pm. In advance, you will be required to review Pre Induction reading material, available to you on www.aitflexiblelearning.ie.
During Induction, you will be given the opportunity to:
- Meet your programme lecturers, programme co-ordinator and students
- Overview of the programme handbook, programme’s modules, assessments and delivery timetable
- Introduction to Athlone IT’s operating systems including MS Office, Zoom, Moodle etc
- Outline of the learning supports available to you during the programme
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question?
You may find the information you need in our FAQ section.
If not, don’t hesitate to get in touch, we’re always happy to help.
Call 090 648 3050
Progression from the Certificate in Procurement is on to the Level 6 Higher Certificate in Business programme, which is a one year programme.
Following successful completion, students are eligible to apply for the Level 7 Bachelor of Business Studies. On successful completion, students are eligible to apply and progress to the Level 8 Bachelor of Business Studies. On successful completion, students are eligible to apply and progress to a Level 9 Postgraduate Diploma in various disciplines or Masters of Business Studies in Research.
Monday 7 pm to 9 pm
Wednesday 7 pm to 10 pm
Plus 4 Saturdays per semester Online (9 am – 1 pm).
For online programmes, lectures will be delivered online and recordings of lectures will be available to view in the student’s own time.
Semester 1 (2022)
The programme’s assessments will be a combination of final examinations and continuous assessments.
Monday, September 12th 2022
Developed in association with industry leaders, this specialist course promotes critical awareness of the most recent advances in the procurement, purchasing and tendering function and the critical contribution of the function to business efficiencies and effectiveness.