[three_fourth valign=”top” animation=”none”]
[tabs position=”left-top” style=”simple” type=”click”]
Aim of Programme
Aim of Programme
Athlone Institute of Technology has delegated authority from HETAC to award its own Level 9 Master’s Degrees.
The Faculty of Continuing, Professional, Online and Distance Learning is interested to consider Masters Research proposals in the following areas:
- Education (Higher Education)
- Flexible and Online Learning.
- Financial Management
- Strategic Planning and Foresight
- Educational Management
- Lifelong Learning
- Quality and Lean Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain
- Leadership and Management
This is relevant to individuals who currently hold a Level 8 Honours Degree, and are considering starting a Masters by Research in the future. Through our methodology you complete a single module in term on Research Methods where your output is your Research Proposal.
[numbers stop=”9″ suffix=”” icon=”star”]NFQ Level[/numbers]
[numbers stop=”40″ suffix=”” icon=”star”]Credits[/numbers]
- Research Methods (10 Credits at NFQ Level 9)
- Dissertation (30 credits at NFQ Level 9)
If you currently hold a Level 8 Honours Degree, and are considering starting a Masters by Research in the future, then this single module would be of benefit to you.
The aim of this module is to:
- develop a systematic understanding of the role of research and of research methods;
- develop specialised knowledge and skills in conducting research;
- develop a critical awareness of the role of research in progressing theory and knowledge;
- prepare the student for the completion of a Masters Dissertation;
- enable students to engage in further self-directed study in research methodology.
- Assist the student in the preparation of their research proposal for their preferred area of research.
On successful completion of this module you will be able to:
- demonstrate the role of research in Science, Humanities, Business and Engineering and its relationship to theory development
- apply fundamental ethical principles in conducting research and be able to address ethical issues in any research project
- analyse quantitative and qualitative data and critique different methods of analysis • conduct a literature review including the use of primary and secondary sources, internet and empirical databases
- critically evaluate literature, identify gaps in existing knowledge and develop research questions
- understand the importance of planning and management of research projects Duration 10 weeks – one evening per week, plus two Saturdays Course Fee €600 (this fee will be deducted from the cost of completing a Masters by Research if you chose to do so at Athlone Institute of Technology)
Minimum Entry Requirements
Minimum Entry Requirements
Level 8 Degree in any non-cognate discipline
Those with a level 7 degree in any non-cognate discipline with three years post qualification and/or those who meet the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) requirements as per the Institute RPL policy will also be considered. Such candidates will have to attend for interview.
Note: Non cognate discipline is defined as the discipline area OTHER than the discipline area of the Post Graduate Diploma the student is applying for.
Induction for the 2022/2023 academic year takes place (online via Zoom) on Saturday 10th September from 930am to 1pm. In advance, you will be required to review Pre Induction reading material, available to you on www.aitflexiblelearning.ie.
During Induction, you will be given the opportunity to:
- Meet your programme lecturers, programme co-ordinator and students
- Overview of the programme handbook, programme’s modules, assessments and delivery timetable
- Introduction to Athlone IT’s operating systems including MS Office, Zoom, Moodle etc
- Outline of the learning supports available to you during the programme
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question?
You may find the information you need in our FAQ section.
If not, don’t hesitate to get in touch, we’re always happy to help.
Call 090 648 3050
[progress_bar value=”100″ icon=”time” size=”medium”]10 weeks [/progress_bar]
Monday 7 pm to 9.30 pm (Online)
PLUS 2 Saturdays (online 9 am to 1 pm). For online programmes, lectures will be delivered online and recordings of lectures will be available to view in the student’s own time.
Saturday October 16, 2022
Saturday February 12, 2023
(This fee will be deducted from the cost of completing a Masters by Research if you chose to do so at TUS Midlands).
Fees payable for a Masters by Research per annum are as follows (subject to change):
EU STUDENTS €4,550 p.a.
NON EU €9,000 p.a.
Monday September 12th 2022
[one_fourth_last valign=”top” animation=”none”]